Whether traveling on the ground or in the mind, the reader is carefully guided through the battlefields with a mixture of succinct military history, cameo memories and stories of VCs and other personalities, interspersed with references to the literature and poetry of the war.
This guidebook is based on Tonie and Valmai Holt's 30 years’ experience of researching, guiding tours and writing about the area, with their unique blend of male and female points of view. It is written to the high standards that have come to be expected of these highly respected authors who are credited with pioneering the modern battlefield tour and whose guide books are referred to as 'The Bibles.'
This new edition contains:
• Brief Historical Background and Summary of each battle, Opening Moves and What Happened, with appropriate quotations
• Sketch Map for each battle showing battle lines, routes etc and all points of interest described on each timed itinerary
• Large Sketch Map putting the battlefields (north and south) into perspective
• Memorials, Museums, Sites of Interest (bunkers, craters etc)
• War Grave Cemeteries – Allied and German
• GPS Location for every recommended stop
• War Graves and Commemorative Associations
• Cameos about individual personalities
• Useful Tourist Information – Where to stay and eat
“All places of interested are described, mostly in detail. If you study this guide, and stick to the directions, you will see everything the battlefield has to offer.” ~HistoricalBattlefieldTours.com